19 OF MY FAVORITE AUTUMN/FALL/PUMPKIN SPICED TUNES
Even “Brace Yourself” memes don’t make me laugh anymore. You see it every year: BRACE YOURSELF: Statuses about pumpkins spice flavored everything and the enjoyment of sweaters are coming.
It was funny the first time. It was the second time. Fuck it, it’s still kind of funny, but the most depressing thing about Fall, is that Summer, the season with that godly every-day-feels-like-paradise feeling, is gone. And it’s not coming back for a long, long, loooong ass time.
Before it returns, expect to have stubbed your toe at least once during the winter months. What’s he talking about? Oh? Let me refresh your memory.
You return home after a drab, dark, freezing—boring day no less, at work, and you proceed to maneuver through your apartment with familiarity as one would naturally do. Except for today, your frigid body inconspicuously throws off the calculations of your spacial awareness by just millimeters, and you smash your pinky toe into the edge of your coffee table. You fall to the ground clutching your appendage doing whatever it is that you normally do, to ease the discomfort in these moments. You writhe in pain, you curse, and you simply wish summer would just come back.
Stop drop and roll my friends. Stop, drop, and roll. It is the only thing you can do.
Anyway, back to Fall.
But seriously, the leaves start to make their descending journey, an 18-degree-high day is like a god send… and… whatever. Enough of my comical-via-truths tropes. This is starting to sound like one of those shitty pseudo-intellectual Pitchfork articles.
Here is a list of my favorite songs to listen to during the season of Autumn.
The list is based on songs that are mid-tempo, with either an acoustic guitar or piano present at some point, and possess at least a minute sense of despair, perfect for those dreary subway rides/walks from your work day into your shitty Ikea-furnished-empty-vessel of a home.
HA! I’m so fucking EMO.
Note: Last 3 tunes in the list are by indie artists, so naturally, they couldn’t be found on Grooveshark. I however, blogged them in the past on Tunes I Dig, so I just linked to those posts that currently exist.
Alright. Now get listening, and get sad.
- Marco Pitino
1. Dashboard Confessional - “Thick As Thieves” - Buy
2. Dashboard Confessional - “Where There’s Gold…” - Buy
3. Death Cab For Cutie - “The Sound Of Settling” - Buy
4. Death Cab For Cutie - “Summer Skin” - Buy
5. Jack’s Mannequin - “The Resolution” - Buy
6. Jack’s Mannequin - “Crashin” - Buy
7. Raine Maida - “Yellow Brick Road” - Buy
8. R.E.M. - “Strange Currencies” - Buy
9. Treble Charger - “Red” - Buy
10. Bruce Springsteen - “Streets Of Philadelphia” - Buy
11. Coldplay - “A Message” - Buy
12. Box Car Racer - “There Is” - Buy
13. Something Corporate - “Cavanaugh Park” - Buy
14. Smashing Pumpkins - “The Celestials” - Buy
15. Stars - “Your Ex-Lover Is Dead” - Buy
16. College - “A Real Hero” - Buy